Practice Areas
Victim of Crime Applications

Victim of Crime Applications

Victim of Crime Applications

Being the victim of a criminal offense can be a truly scary experience, and the United States offers various protections for immigrants who are victims of serious crimes. In some instances, a visa can be used to allow the victim of a criminal offense to remain within the borders of the United States – and in some cases to immigrate to the United States – in order to assist law enforcement with investigating the criminal offense. Not all of these protection options require the immigrant to make a formal complaint through law enforcement.

Miranda, Magden & Miranda

Assisting Individuals in California with Applying for a VAWA Visa or a U-Visa

Specifically, United States immigration laws provide for the U-visa (applicable to individuals who are victims of serious crimes and whose cooperation is certified by a law enforcement agency) and the Violence Against Women Act (also known as the VAWA) visa. If you are the victim of a serious crime, it may be difficult for you to determine which of these visas is right for you. In some instances, the same individual might even qualify for both of these visas, depending upon the circumstances at hand.

The California immigration attorneys at Miranda, Magden & Miranda, LLP, can review your circumstances and determine if you are eligible for one of these immigrant visas. Please feel free to contact us today for more information about how we can help you address your immigration matter.

Qualifying for a U-Visa

U-Visas were created primarily for the benefit of immigrants who were the victims of serious criminal offenses – and who suffered mental injury, physical injuries, or both, as a result of the criminal activity in question. This visa system was put in place to allow these immigrants to have an opportunity to assist law enforcement officers with their investigation efforts. In order for you to be eligible to obtain a U-visa, you must be able to demonstrate that you were the victim of a serious crime that qualifies for U-visa protection. In order to apply for this visa, it is not necessary that you have a qualifying relative.

Likewise, in order for you to successfully obtain a U-visa, you must have information that will be helpful to law enforcement in their investigation, and you must submit a “Certificate of Helpfulness” along with your visa application.

Finally, in order to be eligible for this visa, you must show that you were physically or mentally injured as a result of criminal activity, and you must be willing to assist criminal investigators and authorities throughout the course of their criminal investigation.

Qualifying for a VAWA Visa

VAWA visas are a way for abused and battered immigrant spouses to be eligible for a green card, without the need for cooperation by the U.S. permanent resident relative or citizen who is the source of the abuse. You may be eligible for the visa if your adult child (who is a U.S citizen) abused you, your stepparent or parent (who is a U.S. citizen) abused you, or your spouse (a permanent legal resident or U.S. citizen) abused you or your minor child who is under 21 years of age.

U.S. Immigration provides protection to you during the process of this VAWA application. Your abuser will not be permitted to obtain information about you or your VAWA application from the U.S. government. Our law office is experienced in handling these sensitive matters to help keep you safe as you obtain a more secure status away from your abuser. The VAWA application does have some time limits, so if this protection may help you, please reach out to an experienced attorney or BIA accredited representatives as soon and safely as possible.


Contact a California Immigration Lawyer About Your Victim of Crime Application

The legal team at Miranda, Magden & Miranda, LLP can determine your eligibility for a U-Visa or VAWA visa. To schedule a free case evaluation and legal consultation with a California immigration attorney, please contact us to discover more about how we can help with a victim of crime application.


We provide our clients with experienced immigration lawyers who are knowledgeable of the law and have the diligence to navigate your case.

Family Law

Our attorneys work in Family Law with the firm understanding that, as custody, general family, and divorce lawyers, we are here to support your loved ones’ best interests.

What Our Clients Have To Say

Read the reviews from our happy clients.


Immigration – Family Law

We prefer to return your contact directly and promptly by phone. If this is not a safe method of contact, please state so in your message.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our attorney office is conveniently located in Salinas, California.

© 2024 Miranda, Magden & Miranda. All Rights Reserved. NUVEW | Accessibility Notifications | Privacy Policy