Handling the Bankruptcy Process for Clients in the Gonzales Area
Bankruptcy laws are in place to provide an option for people to overcome overwhelming debt. Debts can become unmanageable for various reasons, including unemployment, illnesses and injuries, legal claims, poor business decisions, and more. It does not take long for debts to accrue, though it can seem impossible to pay them in certain circumstances. If you are having trouble controlling your finances, contact a bankruptcy lawyer in Gonzales for assistance.
Bankruptcy Options in Gonzales
No two bankruptcy cases are the same, and bankruptcy is not the right decision for everyone. Our legal team knows how to evaluate many factors to help you determine whether bankruptcy is the right solution in your situation. Some factors we review include:
- Your income
- Your basic expenses
- The nature of your debt
- Your property and assets
- Whether you are facing foreclosure or repossession actions
We can identify whether other debt-relief options might work or whether bankruptcy is the right choice to help you clear your financial slate.
Furthermore, we will help to determine which type of bankruptcy is the right one for you. There are two common types of consumer bankruptcy:
- Chapter 7 – This type of bankruptcy liquidates nonexempt property and assets (if you have anything that is nonexempt) in exchange for the discharge of your unsecured debts.
- Chapter 13 – This bankruptcy case requires you to make payments to the court for three to five years before you receive the discharge of your remaining debts.
While Chapter 7 is the most popular type of consumer bankruptcy, there are reasons why you might want to file for Chapter 13 instead. For example, if your income is too high, you will not qualify for Chapter 7. In addition, if you have nonexempt property and assets and do not want to lose them in a Chapter 7 case, Chapter 13 bankruptcy can be an important alternative option.
The first step toward taking control of your debt is to schedule a consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Then, we can assist with the following:
- Advising whether you are a good candidate for bankruptcy
- Identifying the right type of case for you
- Preparing and filing extensive and detailed paperwork
- Ensuring all information provided to the court is complete and accurate
- Representing you to the bankruptcy trustee or in court if needed
- Applying exemptions to your property in the most effective manner
- Ensuring a Chapter 13 repayment plan is reasonable given your circumstances
- Helping you obtain a successful discharge of your debts
The automatic stay will provide relief from debts and collections as soon as you file your petition, so you can begin experiencing the benefits of bankruptcy right away.
Contact a Bankruptcy Lawyer in Gonzales for Assistance Today
Do not continue struggling with immense debt. Instead, contact the law firm of Miranda, Magden & Miranda, LLP. Our bankruptcy lawyers in Gonzales can help guide you to financial relief, so please contact us for a consultation today.